Saturday, May 08, 2010

Wrandom Ramblingss and #Preggo-ness

Hello, blogosphere. How've you been? Have you missed me?

What's been going on with you? Things have been busy over here. Just... stuff. Y'know? I'll probably tell you some of it later, but not yet. Which is WEIRD for me. I don't like feeling like I have to censor myself... you're my therapy, blogosphere. You are how I process stuff. But I can't tell you certain things, or I can't tell you yet, which sucks.

But enough of that for now.

In other news, I really wanted to do Story A Day May (as featured on InkyGirl's site), but it hasn't happened yet. I always have all these snippets of ideas that could potentially make short stories, but I never take the time to write them down. This would have been a gret way to do it. If I could remember even ONE of those bazillion snippets of ideas...

I was even going to go all daring and post my stories on le blogue, for all of you lovely people to read. WHITOUT EDITING THEM FIRST. Be all raw and real and stuff. Because yes, I am that arrogant.

But my creative energy is all gone. Maybe the fetus is sucking it all up... all my creativity is going straight to my uterus, to work on creating the fetus. Has that happened to anyone else? Or am I just making excuses?

(I'm firmly in the second trimester now, so the first-tri fatigue is gone. I still sleep lots, but I can't use the "embryo is zapping all my energy" excuse anymore.)

Maybe I should just wait until after the baby is born, so I can take it to coffee houses and pubs to take advantage of the free heating and write my stories on cocktail napkins.

In other-other news, my nails are growing WAY TOO FAST. Now that the fake nails are gone, I'm left with sharp, brittle natural nails. They are ANNOYING. How do you people do this? I have to cut them every week. Or I scratch myself. And I have the cats to do that, I don't need to injure myself. Not with Gus Attack Kitteh in the house.

Speaking of #preggo-hood and its side effects, I am now an Official #Preggo. Freddy and I went maternity-clothes shopping yesterday. One pair of (work-pretty) pants, two nursing tops, two bras, and three maternity tops (on sale): $200. Not even a full week of clothing. $200. HAVING A BABY IS EXPENSIVE. And we haven't even gotten to the baby part yet!

I do have to say my boobs are very happy to be in a bra that fits. Maybe that's why I've been so cranky lately... those blasted underwires digging into my flesh.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, babies are VERY expensive and VERY VERY time consuming, as I learned the hard way. While pregnant with my first, I was convinced that those first few months would be my most productive writing time ever, since I was promised that babies sleep 18 hours a day. I didn't get a first draft done until his first year of preschool.

    So save your money with consignment maternity clothes and start writing NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that babies are as expensive as people make them out to be. It just depends on how you want to go about certain things. The first 6 months, if you nurse, you don't even have to buy anything. Unless you do disposable diapers then you have to buy diapers.

    Anyway, when I was pregnant I was drained of everything mentally. It's just what happens, your brain slows down in order to help baby grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe some naturally slowed-down people would speed up with pregnancy, but I think mostly high speed, spread outward people can gravitate towards slowing down and centering on what's happening inside the more intimate circle of concern (your body, husband, closest family and friends, etc.)
    Whatever you're finding is happening is what to notice and respect and hopefully trust and welcome as good, right for you.
    Time to totally throw out as trash old, bad tapes you probably heard from your mother in childhood about "fast or hard or busy or more is better". Trust me on this one.
    Love, your Mother, who really wishes I'd known then what I know now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember your body is still working incredibly hard, so while fatigue isn't quite as bad in the 2nd trimester (for most women-- it's different for everyone) you're still most likely not at how you normally would feel. Give yourself license for that, and allow yourself those excuses.

    Babies can be expensive, but it also depends on how you do stuff. I recently discovered that, here at least, craigslist can be an amazing place to score cheap, used kid's clothes. Might be a good place to look for baby clothes. The lady I've bought D's 2T and 3T wardrobe from, sold me everything for about $1-$3 per item. For new stuff, Carter's is a great place to look b/c they almost always have everything on mega-sale (and the clothes are pretty cute, at least for up to 12 months).

    Motherhood Maternity and Old Navy were 2 favorites for me for maternity clothes. The bummer about Old Navy is it's next to impossible to find maternity sections in stores, but you can buy online, shipping is usually cheap ($5-$7) and can return anything you don't like to *any* Old Navy store. Craigslist or even Freecycle might also be decent places to look (especially if listings have pictures, so you can tell right away if something is your style or not).

    BTW as you buy both baby and maternity stuff, remember that if you're planning to get pregnant again & have more babies, you'll get to use all this stuff over again. So it's an investment, and then next time you'll hardly have to buy anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always sapped of energy throughout my pregnancies...both are pretty much a blur of sleeping and vomitting...

    Also, maternity clothes? Thrift store that stuff! Small baby clothes too, because a lot of smaller sizes kids grow out of before they can ruin them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done much sitting on the couch, fear not :P I'm telling myself this is a good time to make a hefty dent in my To Be Read pile... that plan seems to be working well.

    I do feel bad that I hit a ("first-run"?) store for maternity clothes (and today for baby clothes... but those were on SUPER SALE) before hitting the thrift stores. I promise I'll check those out next!

    ReplyDelete