Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas, classy

Drove to Austin today, to hang out with the family for the holidays. Driving into my mom's neighborhood I saw all the pretty Christmas lights, hung from the rooftops with care. I passed the orange and white Bevo on the street leading up to my mom's, and out of the corner of my eye I saw the blow-up figures in my mom's next-door neighbor's yard, but I didn't look at them because I was counting cars and trying to find a parking space in the vicinity of my mom's driveway.

It wasn't until I got out of the car, and heard the tinny notes of classical music pieces featured in Fantasia (the first one), that I remembered the neighborhood's annual Christmas decorating contest. First, second, and third place awards are given for Best Street and for Best House.

This guy (Mom's neighbor) is a big fan of the gaudy blow-up yard decorations for each and every holiday; apparently this year he's found a way to add music to his lovely decorations.

My favorite part? The next morning, when the blow-up figures are lying on the grass, deflated, looking like the remains of a drive-by shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment