Sunday, March 15, 2009

"With this latte, I thee kiss"

Today is Freddy's and my first wedding anniversary. (Yes, we got married on the Ides of March. We like to tempt fate.)

A month from today is the deadline to pay Uncle Sam (or ask him for our money back). Freddy and I will file our taxes together, as a married couple; sadly, many couples are not afforded that luxury.

Yes, I know doing your taxes is not the most fun thing in the world -- but you know what? Respect is pretty cool. And not being allowed to do your taxes together is a huge reminder that WE DON'T RESPECT YOU. And that is not cool.

A month from today, couples who are mad as hell and are not going to take it anymore will participate in Same Sex Kiss Day. Go to Starbucks, and kiss your same-sex partner (or friend, or acquaintance...) The point? To show homophobes that gay people are, indeed, just PEOPLE. Novel concept, I know.

The more we see them, the less mystical they will be. Sounds silly, but the whole concept of not letting them get married is pretty damn silly, too. Isn't it?

By the way, March also holds another important anniversary for me -- a week and four years ago, I got divorced. And, honestly, it's a close tie as to which one of these was "the happiest day of my life."

So, yeah... "the sanctity of marriage"? We heteros have made a joke out of that already. And you know it's true, so I'm not going to make a list of all the hetero "marriages" and divorces that have made a mockery of the institution -- for those who let that sort of thing bother them.


Go to Starbucks! Kiss! Repeal Prop 8 -- nationwide!

Photo by John Woelke.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool, will try to spread the word around.

    ReplyDelete